Lesson 23 One man's meat is another man's poison
各有所爱
Listen to the tape then answer the question below.
听录音,然后回答以下问题。
What was it about snails that made the writer collect them for his friend on that day in particular?
People become quite illogical when they try to decide what can be eaten and what cannot be eaten.
在决定什么能吃而什么不能吃的时候,人们往往变得不合情理。
If you lived in the Mediterranean, for instance, you would consider octopus a great delicacy.
比如,如果你住在地中海地区,你会把章鱼视作是美味佳肴,
You would not be able to understand why some people find it repulsive.
同时不能理解为什么有人一见章鱼就恶心。
On the other hand, your stomach would turn at the idea of frying potatoes in animal fat -- the normally accepted practice in many northern countries.
另一方面,你一想到动物油炸土豆就会反胃,但这在北方许多国家却是一种普通的烹饪方法。
The sad truth is that most of us have been brought up to eat certain foods and we stick to them all our lives.
不无遗憾的是, 我们中的大部分人,生来就只吃某几种食品,而且一辈子都这样。
No creature has received more praise and abuse than the common garden snail.
没有一种生物所受到的赞美和厌恶会超过花园里常见的蜗牛了。
Cooked in wine, snails are a great luxury in various parts of the world.
蜗牛加酒烧煮后,便成了世界上许多地方的一道珍奇的名菜。
There are countless people who, ever since their early years, have learned to associate snails with food.
有不计其数的人们从小就知道蜗牛可做菜。
My friend, Robert, lives in a country where snails are despised.
但我的朋友罗伯特却住在一个厌恶蜗牛的国家中。
As his flat is in a large town, he has no garden of his own.
他住在大城市里的一所公寓里,没有自己的花园。
For years he has been asking me to collect snails from my garden and take them to him.
多年来,他一直让我把我园子里的蜗牛收集起来给他捎去。
The idea never appealed to me very much,
一开始,他的这一想法没有引起我多大兴趣。
but one day, after heavy shower,
后来有一天,一场大雨后,
I happened to be walking in my garden when I noticed a huge number of snails taking a stroll on some of my prize plants.
我在花园里漫无目的地散步,突然注意到许许多多蜗牛在我的一些心爱的花木上慢悠悠地蠕动着。
Acting on a sudden impulse, I collected several dozen, put them in a paper bag, and took them to Robert.
我一时冲动,逮了几十只,装进一只纸袋里,带着去找罗伯特。
Robert was delighted to see me and equally pleased with my little gift.
罗伯特见到我很高兴,对我的薄礼也感到满意。
I left the bag in the hall and Robert and I went into the living room where we talked for a couple of hours.
我把纸袋放在门厅里,与罗伯特一起进了起居室,在那里聊了好几个钟头。
I had forgotten all about the snails when Robert suddenly said that I must stay to dinner.
我把蜗牛的事已忘得一干二净,罗伯特突然提出一定要我留下来吃晚饭,这才提醒了我。
Snails would, of course, be the main dish.
蜗牛当然是道主菜。
I did not fancy the idea and I reluctantly followed Robert out of the room.
我并不喜欢这个主意,所以我勉强跟着罗伯特走出了起居室。
To our dismay, we saw that there were snails everywhere:
使我们惊愕的是门厅里到处爬满了蜗牛:
they had escaped from the paper bag and had taken complete possession of the hall!
它们从纸袋里逃了出来,爬得满厅都是!
I have never been able to look at a snail since then.
从那以后,我再也不能看一眼蜗牛了。
正在阅读:
新概念英语美音版第三册译文:Lesson23Oneman′smeatisanother03-16
USB接口不够用怎么办?台式机/笔记本电脑USB接口不够用解决(图文)06-04
高三年级语文下册必修五知识点:香菱学诗05-22
成长需要挫折作文400字11-30
蝴蝶展作文600字10-09
2023年河南平顶山普通高中招生工作的通知[中招考试时间为6月26日-28日]05-30
小学生摘抄好句07-20
自作聪明的我作文800字12-11