我第一次和她在那个海滩上相遇时,她整六岁。这个海滩离我的住处约有三、四英里。每当我心情压抑,感到烦恼时,就驱车上哪儿去。当时她正在用沙子堆积一个城堡似的东西。看到我来,她抬起头来望着我,那双眼睛像大海般深邃、湛蓝。
“Hello,”she said.I answered with a nod,not really in the mood to bother with a small child.
“您好!”她说。我点了点头作为回答,说实在的,我没有心思跟一个小女孩费神。
“I'm building,”she said.
“我在盖房子呢!”她又说。
“I see that.What is it?”I asked,not caring.
“我看见了。这盖的是什么房子呢?”我心不在焉地问道。
“Oh,I don't know,I just like the feel of sand.”
“噢,我不知道,我就是喜欢摸沙子的感觉。”
That sounds good,I thought,and slipped off my shoes.A sandpiper glided by.
这倒有意思,我边想边脱掉鞋子。蓦地,一只矶鹞从一旁滑翔而过。
“That's a joy,”the child said.
孩子见了说:“那是快乐。”
“It's a what?”
“是什么?”
“It's a joy.My mama says sandpipers come to bring us joy.”
“是快乐,矶鹞能给人们带来快乐,妈妈说的。”
The bird went glissading down the beach.“Good-bye joy,”I muttered to myself,“hello pain,”and turned to walk on.I was depressed; my life seemed completely out of balance.
那只矶鹞顺着海滨飞走了。“再见了,快乐,”我自言自语道,“痛苦来临了。”并转身走开。我很沮丧,因为我现在的生活一团糟。
“What's your name?”She wouldn't give up.
“您叫什么名字啊?”她还不罢休。
“Ruth,”I answered.“I'm Ruth Peterson.”
“鲁思,”我回答,“我叫鲁思?彼得森。”
“Mine's Wendy...I'm six.”
“我叫温迪,我六岁了。”
“Hi,Wendy.”
“你好,温迪。”我叫到。
She giggled.“You're funny,”she said.
“您真逗!”她咯咯地笑了。
2017职称英语综合类阅读精选:A Sandpiper to Bring You Joy.doc