【#英语资源# 导语】诗的语言是文学语言中最美的,而诗歌的优美和内涵往往依靠隐喻得以实现。隐喻在诗歌中发挥着修饰功能、陌生化功能、认知功能等。下面是由©文档大全网带来的经典英语诗歌及翻译欣赏,欢迎阅读!
Death Be Not Proud
by John Donne
Death be not proud, though some have called thee
Mighty and dreadful, for, thou art not so,
For, those, whom thou think'st, thou dost overthrow,
Die not, poor death, nor yet canst thou kill me;
From rest and sleep, which but thy pictures be,
Much pleasure, then from thee, much more must flow,
And soonest our best men with thee do go,
Rest of their bones, and soul's delivery.
Thou art slave to fate, chance, kings, and desperate men,
And dost with poison, war, and sickness dwell,
And poppy, or charms can make us sleep as well,
And better than thy stroak; why swell'st thou then?
One short sleep past, we wake eternally,
And death shall be no more; Death, thou shalt die.
死神,你莫骄傲
死神,你莫骄傲,尽管有人说你
如何强大,如何可怕,你并不是这样;
你以为你把谁谁谁*了,其实,
可怜的死神,他们没死;你现在也还杀不死我。
休息、睡眠,这些不过是你的写照,
既能给人享受,那你本人提供的一定更多;
我们最美好的人随你去得越早,
越能早日获得身体的休息,灵魂的解脱。
你是命运、机会、君主、亡命徒的奴隶,
你和毒药、战争、疾病同住在一起,
罂粟和咒符和你的打击相比,同样,
甚至更能催我入睡;那你何必趾高气扬呢?
睡了一小觉之后,我们便永远觉醒了,
再也不会有死亡,你死神也将死去。
在我母亲的两幅肖像前
I love the beautiful young girl of this
portrait, my mother, painted years ago
when her forehead was white, and there was no
shadow in the dazzling 1)Venetian glass
of her gaze. But this other likeness shows
the deep trenches across her forehead’s white
marble. The rose poem of her youth that
her marriage sang is far behind. Here is
my sadness: I compare these portrait one
of a joy-radiant brow, the other care-
heavy: sunrise—and the thick coming on
of night. And yet how strange my ways appear,
for when I look at these faded lips my heart
smile but at the smiling girl my tears start.
我深爱着多年前的这幅肖像里
那年轻貌美的姑娘,她是我的母亲
那时,她前额皎白,她那闪耀着七彩光芒的眼睛
没有一丝黯然。但她的另一幅肖像则显出
那一道道深深的纹路爬过她白皙
如大理石的前额。她年少时那首玫瑰诗篇
曾被她的婚姻所吟唱,而今已远去。我的悲伤
就在于:我对比两幅肖像,一幅
神情愉悦,另一幅忧心
忡忡:一幅宛如旭日初升——另一幅则如夜里重重黑暗
来袭。然而我的看法多么奇怪,
当我看着那失去光泽的双唇时,我的心
在微笑,但面对那含笑如花的少女时,我却潸然泪下。
Mending Wall 修墙
Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,
有一样东西它不喜欢墙,
That sends the frozen ground-swell under it,
冻胀了墙下的基础土壤,
And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
太阳一晒,墙上石块跌落在两旁;
And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
墙体开裂,双人并肩而过像穿堂。
The work of hunters is another thing:
猎人的行为则是另一番景象:
I have come after them and made repair
我要紧随其后修补不停的忙,
Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
他们拆掉石块却不放回原位上,
But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
而是把兔子赶出让它们难躲藏,
To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
惹得猎狗叫汪汪。我所说的裂缝
No one has seen them made or heard them made,
没有谁见过其开裂听过其声响,
But at spring mending-time we find them there.
但到春天来修补,眼前已是百孔千疮。
I let my neighbor know beyond the hill;
我通知了山那边的邻居街坊,
And on a day we meet to walk the line
约好了一天沿着墙巡查一趟,
And set the wall between us once again.
重新垒起我们之间的这堵墙。
We keep the wall between us as we go.
我们沿着墙各自走在各一方,
To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
将各自一侧的石块收拾妥当。
And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
有些石块成块状,有些近乎于球状,
We have to use a spell to make them balance:
我们不得不口念咒语确保其稳当:
"Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"
“请呆在那儿不要晃,等我们折回来查访!”
We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
我们搬弄石块,手指被磨得粗糙无光。
Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
啊,这种户外游戏只不过别于它样,
One on a side. It comes to little more:
玩家各站各一方。这让我若有所想:
There where it is we do not need the wall:
我们在这里并不需要修建这堵墙:
He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
那边种松木这边种苹果树隔墙相望。
My apple trees will never get across
我的苹果树永远不会越过这一屏障:
And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
跑到他松树下去把松果尝,我对他讲。
He only says, "Good fences make good neighbors."
他只好说,“好篱笆会促成好街坊。”
Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
春天让我好心伤,我想知道
If I could put a notion in his head:
我是否能让他这样去思量:
"Why do they make good neighbors? Isn’t it
好篱笆何以能促成好街坊?难道说
Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
这是养牛的地方?但这纯粹是说谎。
Before I built a wall I’d ask to know
以前修建这堵墙,我就该好好想一想
What I was walling in or walling out,
我要把什么东西来设防,
And to whom I was like to give offense.
我是否有冒犯谁的地方。
Something there is that doesn’t love a wall,
有样东西它的确不喜欢墙,
That wants it down." I could say "Elves" to him,
就像妖鬼想让它倒塌一样,我这样讲。
But it’s not elves exactly, and I’d rather
但准确地说这不是妖鬼,我宁愿
He said it for himself. I see him there
他自己说出来是啥名堂。我见他
Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
用双手将石块上端牢牢抓住不放,
In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
就像石器时代武装的野蛮人一样。
He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
我认为他似乎已坠入黑暗感到迷茫,
Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
这黑暗不只是来自树林和树的影像。
He will not go behind his father’s saying,
他不去琢磨父辈曾如何对他讲,
And he likes having thought of it so well
倒是认为父辈所说的话非常棒,
He says again, "Good fences make good neighbors."
他接着又说,“好篱笆会促成好街坊。”